A sailing holiday in Greece
- especially in the more popular areas in the Ionian
and the Saronic
- should be planned at least half a year in advance. There are many advantages planning so far ahead, most importantly:
- Cheaper: most reliable yacht charter firms and companies offer an “early bookings discount”.
- More choice in yachts. Particularly yachts with a 2-cabin lay-out (the so-called owner's version), catamarans smaller than 38 feet and the larger 5 or 6 cabin monohulls over 50 feet and catamarans over 48 feet are rare in Greece, even in the Ionian.
- Allows a sailing holiday that isn't precisely 7, 14 or 21 days and/or needs to start on a Saturday.
- Much more chance that a one-way itinerary is possible, if the yacht hasn't been booked yet out of her home port for the next charter.
Most people plan their sailing holidays almost a year in advance, even more so if planning to sail out of less standard places than the Ionian or the Athens area, for instance out of the secondary yacht charter bases of Kos
, Kavala, Kalamata
As note the advantages of yacht charters in Greece and the Ionian
outside the Saturday-Saturday and 7, 14 or 21 days framework. It is easier to avoid the large groups and flotilla fleets
by simple starting earlier.
.: Back to our sailing adventures in the Ionian :.